Sunday, April 16, 2006

Help Doug move

My college housemate, Doug, has been out in Macedonia with the Peace Corps. After a little over a year of setting up water treatment plants and teaching English, he is now starting to look for jobs back in the States. Doug spent most of his life in Michigan, and is curious what other places have to offer. This is what he says:

"I want to know what you feel about where you live and your community. What do you get out of where you live? I'm not going to use this info to pick a best place to live but get an idea of what it means to you all and to help me figure out where I'd like to end up"


Doug is one of the nicest people on earth, so of course I'll tell him what I think about the places I've lived in (e.g. Austin and the San Francisco Bay Area). If you have any place you like or don't like, please contribute by adding comments to this post, or emailing me your thoughts, or link to your post. I will forward them along to Doug at the end of April. Doug has a Masters in Chemical Engineering (from the University of Michigan), with a focus on environmental issues. He enjoys the great outdoors and is an all-around great guy. And, Ladies, last I heard he's single!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi!

I moved to the bay about 3 years ago. But I'm sure Dan has plenty to tell you about this area :)
Before CA, I lived near Portland, OR. This area is absolutely beautiful, in my opinion. It's about 1.5 hrs from the beach and 1 hr from Mt. Hood. So there is plenty of outdoor entertainment (i.e. hiking, camping, skiing, rafting, windsailing, etc).
People in this area are generally pretty nice and I don't think it's very hard to make new friends. The pace of life is pretty slow. So finding balance among the many thing life has to offer is a bit easier than what I’ve found here in CA.
But, like everything, there are negative aspects to living in this area as well. Exposure to culture is very limited, especially compared to the bay. And if you don't like doing things in less than ideal weather, OR is probably not the best place for you. About 9 months out of the year, the weather will be forecasted as rainy or chance of showers. But the 3 or 4 months that the sun does come out are absolutely wonderful.
But these are just a few facts to help you get more familiar with this area. Good luck on your moving decision!

yao said...

what? jerry, you're still in vermont?

anyway, phoenix is hot. and it's very car-centric/sprawling, much like los angeles. there are a lot of outdoor activities. but then for most of the year, you can only do it in the very hot weather. while staring at the brown cloud caused by the cars of course.

on the other hand, i think doug would like good ol NAU town, aka flagstaff. it's not as hot and not as polluted. and it snows.

but i think sedona is even better. you should check out sedona. it's so nice there. words cannot describe it.